Wednesday, April 13, 2011

credibility?

Ayn Rand's "Atlas Shrugged" has been made into a film and will be released in two days. I have heard of the novel and I have been contemplating reading it, but due to my time with it in Senior Seminar and other research, I am hesitant. I have extensively researched the ethical concept/philosophy (a misnomer I may get into later) of "Objectivism" and I do not know if I like how the zeitgeist recognizes it. I won't define Objectivism, but if you would want one, just go google it. With the way that Rand uses it, Objectivism is "the concept of man as a heroic being, with his own happiness as the moral purpose of his life, with productive achievement as his noblest activity and reason as his only absolute." While I can how it relates to something that I hold to be true (I would dub it self-altruism, for comedic effect), it's candidness can be confused by it's believers. Many believe it to be or use it in a way to self-motivate themselves to greatness, to the point of guilt and despair when they do not achieve that goal. In Objectivism, a person must to do those things that make them the most "happy" (rational self-interest, you know). As Rand said, "man as a heroic being". While it does not explicitly promote extraneous selfishness, the sense of entitlement and "holier-than-thou" effect are palpable. My biggest complaint against Objectivism is that it would call any action that doesn't work toward self-interest a waste. I find this highly hypocritical. There are many facets to my disagreement, so many in fact that I am having a hard time defining them right now. One thing I can say is that if this were the case, then a true Objectivist parent would let their kids stay up all night, eat all the candy, and run away whenever they wanted. Our society has put in place barriers and limits that should be upheld in order to embrace our growth and sustain us. Without those barriers, a person would be a cesspool of moral destructiveness. Believe me, I kinda was one :) In reluctant conclusion (I have to get back to work), check out Neitzsche's Ubermensch/Also Sprach Zarathustra. I believe it much more effectively does what Objectivism is trying to convey and doesn't come off with implications or condonement of immoral-morality.

1 comment:

  1. Apologize for the paragraph block. My work computer is wierd.

    ReplyDelete